Friday, May 22, 2015

Are Nickel & Iron Oxide the same thing?

I must admit that I am not a chemistry student.  Nope, in college, I took Physics instead.  So I don't have a big understanding of the periodic table and how elements work together, what comes from what, and so on.



When my allergist discussed the results of the 5 day allergy test, she said I was severely allergic to nickel and iron oxide.  I didn't know if nickel and iron oxide were different names for the same thing. Every time I would Google this question, the results were all directed toward the chemist.  I couldn't understand what those sites were stating. I kind of gathered that nickel and iron oxide are somehow connected, yet different.  

 

Here is an example of the results for a search for how is nickel iron similar to iron oxide:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cm501881a

 BUT the great part is that the author uses the phrase "nickel iron oxide"

Mixed nickel iron oxide nanomaterials have great potential for use in fields as wide-ranging as optics, water oxidation catalysis, and biomedical applications


So it seems that nickel and iron oxide are the same thing.

Well I recently found some answers to my questions about nickel and iron oxide. 



Iron is a metallic element with the chemical symbol Fe, and is one of the most prolific and commonly occurring mineral substances on Earth. Scientists estimate that is found in approximately 5% of the planet’s crust, and exists in its core, too. Iron turns to iron oxide when it comes into contact with oxygen, either on its own or in combination with other elements like water. When the mineral is exposed to water and air for extended periods of time it will usually produce rust, which is a reddish-brown oxide.

           http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-iron-oxide.htm





 Nickel is classified as a transition metal. Transition metals are elements between Groups 2 (metals) and 13 (non-metals) in the periodic table. The periodic table is a chart that shows how chemical elements are related to one another. Nickel is closely related to iron, cobalt, copper, and zinc. These metals are close to nickel in the periodic table.


http://www.chemistryexplained.com/elements







Some people have combination allergies (ME!)

People with nickel allergy may also be allergic to iron oxide, gluten, soy, latex, aluminum, and other items.  If you have an allergy to nickel, you might also check to see if you are allergic to iron oxide.

When do I risk exposure to Nickel?

Nickel is used for nickel alloys, electroplating, batteries, coins, industrial plumbing, spark plugs, machinery parts, stainless-steel, nickel-chrome resistance wires, and catalysts. It is also found in objects used daily: zippers, watchbands, jewelry, musical instruments, belt buckles, razors, and kitchen utensils.

 

 

When do I risk exposure to Iron Oxide?

Many cosmetics include Iron Oxide, as a way to provide the coloring agent. Face makeup, hair color, ink pens, erasable markers, paint, tattoo ink, laptops, magnets, fertilizer, and more.
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=449





So if you have nickel allergy, have taken care to eliminate daily exposure, but STILL have skin irritation, THEN take a minute to consider whether iron oxide is also an irritant. That is the case for me, and it turns out my iron oxide allergy has been an equal contributor to my chronic conjunctivitis and rosacea.  And my whole daily routine with cosmetics has changed as a result.

I would love to hear about your experiences with skin allergies.  Just leave a comment below.