Saturday, August 22, 2015

My Favorite Things for Nickel and Iron Oxide Allergy

Whew! What a week!  I just finished my first FULL WEEK of teaching Kindergarten (this year). Trying to get 23 four and five year olds how to be "civil" students is quite a huge task.  I never get used to the start of the school year in Kindergarten.  It truly makes me think of herding cats!





"How are we gonna get all these situations?"



Oh, Sorry!! I am off topic.
Yes, that is how my mind has been running all week.


I Decided To Think Of My Favorite Things 

For Nickel and Iron Oxide Allergies 


Naturally Nickel Free Jewelry

Donna Jo Wallace is the artist who creates earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and charms that are nickel-free.  Donna even offers custom design jewelry pieces.  She made custom earring charms for me, which I LOVE!




 



 

100 Percent Pure

I love the Fruit Pigmented Cosmetics offered by 100 Percent Pure! God was good to me in advance of my diagnosis of nickel allergy.  This site appeared in my Facebook news feed a couple of weeks before my allergy testing. I am so grateful that I now have some cosmetics I can wear.
NOTE: If you have exclusively nickel allergy, cosmetics may not be an allergy trigger for you.  But if you have IRON OXIDE allergies, like I do, you need to find alternatives to the big name cosmetics, as well as to the "natural" brands.

 I use Fig eyeshadow, which also can serve as my liner.  And Champagne is my lighter color.



I enjoy the Pomegranate lip glaze.  It is a bit light, but when I use a lip liner, it is just right. The circle sample makes it look more pink than it actually is. These lip glazes so NOT have the lasting power of regular lip sticks or glazes.  Sorry!  

 

 

 

 

Herbatint Hair Color

When I realized my Nickel/Iron Oxide Allergy was impacted by the hair color that I use each month, I was horrified.  I could not imagine going without coloring my hair! Even most of the "natural" hair coloring products include Iron Oxide.  So when my friend Terrie, the health food store owner, told me about Herbatint, I was very interested, but leery. I wasn't sure this product could do the job. 

I was extremely surprised at how wonderful Herbatint did the job! I wouldn't go back to the traditional hair color now, even IF I could! Even my beautician commented on the improvement of the condition of my hair, now that I am using Herbatint.  I get many more compliments on the shiny look it gives my hair.  


 

The Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter


Renowned neurologist David Perlmutter, MD, blows the lid off a topic that’s been buried in medical literature for far too long: carbs are destroying your brain. And not just unhealthy carbs, but even healthy ones like whole grains can cause dementia, ADHD, anxiety, chronic headaches, depression, and much more. Dr. Perlmutter explains what happens when the brain encounters common ingredients in your daily bread and fruit bowls, why your brain thrives on fat and cholesterol, and how you can spur the growth of new brain cells at any age. He offers an in-depth look at how we can take control of our “smart genes” through specific dietary choices and lifestyle habits, demonstrating how to remedy our most feared maladies without drugs.






My Kineseologist/Chiro recommended that I read this book after I told him about my diagnosis of Nickel and Iron Oxide allergy.  The basic reason is because this allergy is likely a result of inflammation of the brain due to gluten and too much sugar.  Perlmutter also writes about the importance of getting a LOT more healthy fats into our diet to promote health.

After eating Gluten-Free for 5 months, many of my most extreme areas of inflammation have cleared up tremendously!  I hope to continue a Gluten-Free diet from now on.


I have met quite a few other Nickel allergy sufferers who also discovered that Gluten-free living helps with their symptoms. So I am not alone.  In fact, I decided to focus on Gluten-free eating versus the Nickel Avoidance Diet.
Read more about my story toward Gluten-Free living here.


Note: I am STILL going to try to avoid touching items with high Nickel and Iron Oxide content.




Pamela's Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I know, I know!  These are NOT sugar-free.  But when I need a cookie and chocolate fix, these do just fine!





Coco Roons (Costco) 

Oh........My...........Gosh!!!! These are just so good!





Ugly Gloves

When I just can't avoid touching nickel, I still enjoy my gloves.  These gloves allow me to handle paper, turn pages, pick up pens, write, and so on.  I just can't answer my cell phone, or work on the computer keyboard with them.  But they work just fine when I need them.










OK, I guess I've cheered myself up by thinking of my favorite things.  Maybe I need to burst into song..............